Company Description: The Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) comprises the Army, Air Wing, and Coast Guard, together forming the military of Jamaica. The Jamaica Defence Force is constituted under the provisions of Section 4 of the Defence Act. Under this Act, the JDF has responsibility for the defence and protection from external forces or threat to the sovereignty of Jamaica. The JDF also supports the maintenance of order in Jamaica as well as any other duties that may occasionally be defined by the Defence Board.
The Defence Board is under the general authority of the Prime Minister who has Ministerial responsibility for defence matters of the land including command, discipline, and administration. The Ministry of National Security functions as the ministerial home of the JDF.
The JDF’s mandate is to maintain the integrity of Jamaica’s waters and airspace and to provide aid to the Civil Authorities, relating to:
- Restoration/maintenance of law and order
- Counter-narcotics operations
- Search and Rescue (SAR)
- Casualty Evacuation
- Humanitarian and disaster relief operations
- Defence diplomacy
- Nation building projects
- Contingency planning
- State ceremonial duties
A career in the JDF prepares you to meet and deal with life’s challenges decisively and effectively. You are given an opportunity to serve, to lead and to give yourself a competitive edge on life. Subject to vacancy, the Commissioned officer has several career choices including:
- Infantry officer
- Pilot officer
- Seaman officer
- Engineer officer
Here are four key steps if you are interested in a rewarding and challenging career in the Jamaica Defence Force.
- Assess whether or not you have the leadership skills, guts, intelligence and determination to survive basic training.
- Decide on which career group and type of Queen’s Commission you which to adopt.
- Practice your leadership skills in your school, church, community, and among your peers.
- Write an application letter indicating the reasons for your interest in the JDF – and why the JDF should be interested in you.
Address: SO1 J1 (Personnel and Administration), Headquarters, Jamaica Defence Force, Up Park Camp, Kingston 5, Jamaica
Work Fax: (876) 926-8243
Work Phone: (876) 926-8121 Ext 2207
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org | hqjdf.cclerk@JDF.mil.jm
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/jdfsoldier