Under the direction of the Operations Manager, the incumbent is responsible for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of the assigned medical waste treatment facility in an efficient manner and in compliance with the Facility’s standard operation procedures, maintenance plan, and health and safety plans.
- Daily treatment targets met
- Standard operating procedures, maintenance plan & schedule developed
- Facility cleaned and maintained
- Inventory of consumables, spare parts, collection bins and personal protective equipment maintained
- External stakeholders facilitated
- Bacteriological monitoring tests completed
- Safety and emergency response procedures completed
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
Technical Professional Responsibilities:
- Ensure that daily treatment targets for waste quantities received at the facility are achieved.
- Operate and monitor the operation of the treatment equipment and other equipment at the facility in accordance to the standard operating procedures and equipment manuals.
- Read, understand and use equipment manuals and schematic drawings to develop a comprehensive maintenance plan and standard operation procedures for all the equipment at the Unit’s treatment facilities.
- Advise the Operations Manager of all equipment failures and malfunctions. Troubleshoot and investigate all such failures and malfunctions to diagnose faulty operations and make recommendations for timely corrective actions.
- Assist with the preparation of technical specifications, scope of works inclusive of sketches for the procurement of equipment, spare parts, maintenance tools, consumables and all maintenance related contracts and participate in the evaluation of tenders.
- Assist with monitoring contractors performing maintenance repairs and servicing of equipment and ensure adherence to technical specifications, scope of works and terms and conditions of the contracts.
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to Facility Operators and Attendants to ensure sound implementation of routine maintenance activities, SOPs and Occupational Health and Safety Procedures.
- Coordinate waste manifest duties on all incoming waste prior to treatment, to include inspection, scanning, weighing, sorting and storing waste, and completing waste manifest forms.
- Maintain accurate and up to date electronic and paper records of incoming waste manifest forms, disposal manifest forms for residual waste, treatment equipment operating parameters and maintenance activities undertaken.
- Prepare and submit to the Operations Manager all weekly, monthly and quarterly reports on operation and maintenance activities at the treatment facility, or as instructed.
- Facilitate external stakeholders undertaking scheduled environmental monitoring tests.
- Conduct scheduled bacteriological monitoring tests on the treatment equipment.
- Investigate and report all accidental spills, emergencies, within 24 hours and coordinate with the relevant stakeholders to ensure timely corrective actions and reporting.
- Administer basic safety and emergency response procedures according to Safety and Emergency Response Plans when necessary.
- Assist with the preparation of annual capital and recurrent budgets for operation and maintenance activities for the assigned treatment facility.
Human Resource Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership, guidance and technical support to staff through objective setting, delegation and communication.
- Provide guidance to staff through coaching, mentoring and training, and providing assistance and support as needed.
- Ensure that staff is aware of and adheres to the policies, procedures, and regulations of Ministry of
- Health and the Waste Management Unit.
1. Functional/Technical Competencies Levels:
- Working knowledge of building and equipment maintenance
- Ability to grasp knowledge of the dynamic operations and maintenance requirements for equipment used at waste treatment facilities.
- Ability to interpret specifications of machinery and circuitry
- Knowledge of electrical, mechanical and pneumatic systems
- Knowledge of troubleshooting techniques
- Knowledge of Jamaica Electrical and Building Codes
- Demonstrated ability to explain, apply and monitor such operations and maintenance requirements.
- Demonstrate aptitude to learn and implement the Facility’s waste management plans, policies, standard operating procedures, and health and safety plans
2. Core Competencies:
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
- Leadership Skills
- Time management skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use the computer and knowledge of software applications including MS Word and Excel.
- Team player
- Self-motivated and resourceful, with proven ability to multi-task and operate successfully under tight deadlines and time pressures with minimal supervision.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma in Mechanical, Industrial or Electrical Engineering, or related engineering field.
- At least two years working experience with a reputable company in the capacity related to equipment and building maintenance
Interested persons may apply in writing, accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, January 11, 2019 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only.